Friday, April 2, 2010

plates and drawings


I've been working with surface textures treatments lately, specifically with various methods of applying stain. Typically stain is applied after a piece has been fired once, bisqued, but with these plates I added stain while they were still greenware. First coating them in wax, then carving away the wax where I wanted the stain to be, I was able to use the clay as a canvas. I was a little nervous about messing up the drawings, so I had Tom draw some as well.



Glazing the plates I also used a completely new-to-me method: coating areas in liquid latex. Layering glazes can be tricky, especially if you want a crisp line, around a drawn image for example, and liquid latex can be applied with a brush and peeled off after you dip the piece in glaze. It was messy, smelly, and I ruined a couple of brushes, but I like the way the plates turned out and will probably use the latex some more.

4 comments:

amber c. said...

I heart these times a million. Is the paper airplane plate for sale?

Roxie said...

going to keep these plates as a set, amber, but I'd be happy to make you one. or two. or whatever.

Brenda said...

LOVE the t-rex!!!

Yang Kuo said...

I heart these times a million. Is the paper airplane plate for sale?

ทางบ้าน