Thursday, July 3, 2008

An Introduction

So I'm starting a blog. Obviously. Great, you're thinking, all the world needs is another uber sarcastic single-gal-in-the-city blog. In attempt to remove those eyeballs from the back of your head in hopes that you'll keep reading, let me explain that I'm doing this strictly as a form of motivation for me to do some writing. Every time I try to start a journal I feel like I'm in seventh grade again and need to gush about my crush or a backstabbing friend, and after three entries or so I fail miserably. So here's hoping that my readers will be enough to keep me going. All three of you. And that might be a gross over-exaggeration. Oh, and I promised to blame Kate, because after reading her superb blog it made me want to start my own.

Perhaps the title needs some explanation? For those of you who haven't seen the '90's baseball classic, The Sandlot, I urge you to queue it up immediately. And if you're not fortunate enough to have an online movie rental service, try the library. Let me set up the scene for you from which I took the line of dialog that serves as my motto:

In a clubhouse a baseball team of 12 yr old boys are making s'mores. Smalls, the main character, is a bit of a square and has never had a s'more.
Teammate: Hey Smalls, you want a s'more?
Smalls: A s'more? How can I have s'more (pronounced "some more") if I haven't had any?
Teammate: (Flabbergasted) You're killing me, Smalls.

Life is full of these "you've got to be kidding me" moments. I try to find humor in these situations and will try to share them with you. And to start things off, I'm attaching a photo from my street corner stop sign. Writing things on stop signs is nothing new, but it's always refreshing to see something cleverer than "Stop War." My personal favorite is, "Stop. Hammertime." but I've yet to obtain a picture. It's also good to know that the taggers in my neighborhood are PC. And thanks to Jake for actually noticing the stop sign- I apparently breeze through it without looking.


6 comments:

Emily said...

Love the sign. I won't be able to stop myself from checking all my neighborhood stop signs now, too. Maybe you could make a call for photo submissions?

patrick said...

I feel an obligation to be witty! But that can be tiresome. So, in lieu of that, uh, I won't.

Congratulations on entering the 'sphere Miss Roxie. Count me a dedicated reader until you become boring.

patrick said...

Shit! I was gonna be first!

Coach Josh said...

On second street in NE there is a stop sign with a "Laura Bush" sticker on it. My personal fave.

Anonymous said...

I've been checking your blog for literally 6 hours. Why in the infrequent posting?

We want more Creed thoughts! I mean Rox thoughts!

El Jefe said...

You have 3 more entries to beat your record. You can do it! Good luck. We're all pulling for you.

You got me thinking about my title. Titles are tough.

Stop. Collaborate and listen. Ice is back with a brand new invention. Now if anyone ever fit all of that on the sign. Actually it would be great if it is said "over..." or continued and you had to read the back of the sign, too.