Sunday, August 24, 2008

MN Fair (On a Stick)

For the first time I experienced the spectacle that is the Minnesota State Fair. I am now thoroughly educated in fried food on a stick, which stand offers the tastiest corndogs, and where to get the best cheese curds and malts. Though I avoided the spinning, rickety rides, I was quite amused by the 95-years-and-running Ye Old Time Mill, a dark boat ride featuring glimpses at nonsensical scenes like snowmen frolicking with the three little pigs.

At the international bizarre I bought a Nightmare Before Christmas-esque key chain that I plan on using as a tree ornament, and as I was making my purchase a fellow shopper wondered aloud why anyone would want something so creepy.

I resisted temptation to play games at the Mighty Midway, aside from one round of skee ball, despite my competitive streak. The carnies were fairly tame, though I did overhear one telling another that he could "tickle [his] Elmo."

Throw in a free Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings concert and that is what I call one hell of a day. Next year I might be a little braver and try chocolate covered bacon or the spaghetti dinner on a stick. Maybe.

1 comment:

Jake Freeberg said...

You have to try something out of the ordinary, but you did eat a Pronto Pup, which is a type of Corn dog you may have never eaten before:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pronto_Pup

Also, if you got the Malt and Curds in on your first run, you did pretty well.

To anyone else who may be reading this:
Eat the Chocolate Covered Bacon at the Famous Dave's Booth. It's good.